Sunday, October 09, 2005
GYL Camp 2005: Batam Island
If you ask me, I think I have just missed another 4 days of my life. Like when you look back and wonder how you actually spent those 4 days. GYL Camp 2005 was a rocker. I am so glad that it's finally over because this means an end to all the crap we face from SAA, lecturers and the BIGGEST bootlicker I've ever known. Then again, it means that it's an end to the fun, the sun, the laughter, the cheers, the pain (SHAWN!!!), the food and even the crap. GYL this year was definitely better and has more impact than last year's. Everything was awesome... ICT group!! We rock!!
...:::Day 1:::... 4th Oct 2005I was late on Tuesday because cabs refused to stop by to pick me up. So I reached Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal at 8.45am. I found my group and checked in with them. But I was neither close to my group nor the ICT people yet so I hanged around the camp committee. Christina, Eunice and I took funny photos before boarding the ferry. I'm telling you: That "Golden Raider" isn't golden at all. In fact, I almost died from that 30 minutes ferry ride. Ask Seng Hee, he was busy trying to pacify me. Anyway, the activities started proper after lunch that day. My group did the rafting first. We had to build a raft, and sailed on it from the shore to like very far into the sea and then back again. We teamed up with the DE group and I'm telling you, since ICT concentrates on IT design and they do real design, we couldn't exactly build a raft. But we tried our best and it looked fine. LOOKED fine. It didn't work at all!! After sailing 10m into the sea, the first barrel came out. By the time we circled back to the shore, we were ALL into the sea. So we went out with 6 barrels and came back with 2, everyone was clinging onto the pipes and swimming there and back. It was super hilarious but then again, I think it was cool since we didn't give up and really chiong all the way.
In the evening, we broke up into our respective school activities. ICT held a simple but warm discussion on leadership adaptation and we all got along well. It was then when we started warming up to each other, giving each other lame crap and stuff. But from what Seng Hee and myself heard from MM people, literally the whole MM was ready to stone Isaac. The camp committee met in Wei Jie's and Reagan's room after we dispersed and we sat down to watch the video taken by Nat. My goodness, I was so super pissed with Isaac. That guy really knows how to bootlick lecturers. Like what we said: his "father" was there, his "first uncle" was there, his "second uncle" was there and his "little brother" is emerging. Think only GYL Camp committee will understand that part... HAHA!!
...::Day 2:::... 5th Oct 2005I couldn't exactly crawl out of bed. If you think that I'm bad, Chrislyn was worse. [Sorry girl!! =P] Still, we made it in time for breakfast. After breakfast was Ms. Lim's session on peer helping so the camp committee had to present the skit we prepared for them.
For the ICT activity, we played Prisoner's Dilemma and Seng Hee and myself helped Ms. Grace out. It was fun and we learnt something from it. But what was truly hilarious was that we played the same game again in the night. This time, we played with DE people with the NUS law students facilitating it. The NUS guys thought that none of us will get it but all of the ICT groups just put down the "ideal" answer and we made so much noise about it. Like what we were shouting throughout the evening, it's "$2" and "Peace" all the way!! We even had play-acting. Shawn and Nick were totally hilarious. They were supposed to be "fighting" each other but in the end, they ganged up and went against Xiu Hui. Even the DE person who had to "resolve" their conflict (We were learning on peer mediation.) went nuts and he gave up. It was really fun. Compared to the MM people who were suffering next door, I think we enjoyed ourselves more. Still, from what I heard again, they were having their sweet revenge on Isaac. Now, that is good news to me.
Anyway, we did team building games in the afternoon and those MM guys who teamed up with us better thank God that I have lost weight. Coz they needed to carry me through the spider web, they needed to support me in trust fall and to hold my weight as I stepped on them to cross the fence.
I didn't exactly sleep at night. We went to choing Edwin's room and talked and talked and talked. The committee just seemed to have never-ending stories to tell... ...
...:::Day 3:::... 6th Oct 2005We had to wake up early to go for that useless industrial visit. It was an eye-opener but it was totally boring to me. Why would an IT student go see how oil-drilling pipes are made? *Yawn* But the fun part was later when we went shopping. The sick thing is that they gave up 1 hour to shop. 1 hour!! What the freak can you get in 1 hour? In the end, Chrislyn and I still managed to buy some clothes, hair accessories, souvenirs and some food. Yah.. some.. Coz the ICT guys bought A LOT of food. Like 3 big bags of junk food?? They were for the party later in the night. My goodness... I think we bought more food than other stuff.
We returned back to finish our last activity, which was trekking and paintball. The trekking was fine. The guys took quite good care of us but seriously; we should not let a DMAT guy do the navigation. We could have ended up VERY lost. What made me angry was paintball. This MM asshole shot me at where I did not have any armor protection. It resulted in me having paint all over my face and 2 bruises; one on my right arm and another one near my chest area. It was so painful that I cried but he was unremorseful. So angry....
The main activity for the night was GALA night. And of course, Nat and I were the emcees for the night. I was very encouraged when he told me that Ms. Lim told him that it was good to commit everything into the hands of God. This meant that Ms. Lim is a believer with us. *Grin* It was the last time I emceed with Nat and it felt a little 'bu she'. He is my best partner in this and we click so well together. Brother, I'll miss emcee-ing with you. It has definitely been the 'time of my life'. *Smile*
Still, Gala night didn't go that smoothly. Edwin had a little problem with the co-ordination and I think I went little too harsh on him. Sorry guy! Gala night still went on somehow and we successfully threw Isaac into the pool after he put us through torture when he sang. *Grin* HAHA!! It was good fun but the lecturers were unhappy about it. What the heck lah! Just do it.
In the end, the camp committee presented an item and they finally acknowledged us and gave us their thumbs up. It kind of made up for all the crap and nonsense they gave us.
I couldn't sleep that night. After having our last camp meeting at Edwin's room, Seng Hee and I crashed the ICT party side. But then, that thick-skinned non ICT Isaac was in the room coz the girl he likes is from ICT. But the entire ICT boycotted him. They just moved into another room without telling him and left him waiting in the other room all by himself. HAHA. In the other room, we played Dai Dee, Blackjack, funny camp games and talked crap throughout the night. I couldn't take it in the end and went back to sleep for 3 hours. That night was truly sleepless night for all of us. *Smile*
...:::Day 4:::... 7th Oct 2005All of us were walking zombies on the last day. We couldn't not even open our eyes to walk properly and they had to do a closing ceremony. *zonk* Still, our fatigue did not prevent us from taking crazy photos. We acted dao, acted crazy, made the all the ICT guys act gay and taking down evidence with it and just be nuts. The camp committee finally stepped down from our responsibilities and took the final committee photo. Oh yah, Isaac gave us due credit and Mr. Teng apologized to Edwin for being too harsh with him. Have you ever seen someone stab a person and apologize after stabbing him? Well, I have.
Still, we enjoyed ourselves planning for this camp. We learnt many things and have received many things back as well.
GYL camp committee 2005: Edwin, Nat, Christina, Eunice, Wei Jie, Reagan and Seng Hee, We rock!!!