Monday, June 27, 2005
2+2 = 5?
I'm in school's music lab right now. I get to finish my MMMI practical early so I'm utilizing time now. *Smile*
I got my purple shoes back!! After so many months, I'm surprised that they came back in one piece. It's amazing that the children at the kindergarten did not destroy them. *Grin*
I'm on the verge of finishing 1984. I've never read a book that required so much of my energy and attention. I was actually thinking along as I read the book, trying to understand their world and the mind of Winston Smith.
In the entire course of history, we've only known of parties and ideals who torture and kill all those against them, killing them because they were unrepentant. But the Party in 1984 will try to "cure" and "heal" their enemies first and will only kill them when they accept and agree with Party. So as long as you're against the Party, they will not kill you. Isn't that frightening just to think about? There are only 2 possibilities in that world. Either you love or hate the Party. There is no room for grey areas and there is absolutely no chance for you to sit on the fence. There is no 0.5, only 1 and 0.
What if we live in a world like that? What if we do not have the freedom to say that 2+2 is 4? What if we live in a world where even children turn against their parents and wives against their husbands?
Surely, freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 is 4.